Necromunda: On the Painting Table (and a Real-life Escher Gang?)

Necromunda has been taking up most of my free time this week in-between churning out essays, freelance work to put models on the table and being distracted by superb games of Company of Heroes with Scipio. Incidentally, his Cawdor zealots I mentioned in my Scavvy post have now made it to his blog - absolutely superb work with some nice little conversions.

With two gangs to paint in two weeks I've been trying to focus on painting to a reasonable table-top standard (for me) and not worrying about fixing certain details too much now. If there's time before the big games weekend after everything else is sorted, I'll go back to it then.

Ogg the Scaly 

The first stage of painting, alongside his comrades Rusty and Scraps


With this in mind I decided to tackle the Scaly (doesn't sound like a good idea...). I'd not really painted anything humanoidy of this scale before so it was interesting to try and get the highlighting and what-not right. I was actually pleasantly surprised at how little time this chap has taken to paint in total.


With the colour scheme I wanted to avoid greenish shades of skin and went for something that tied with the overall Scavvies whilst standing out. I opted for Stegadon Scale Green (am I colour blind, or is this really blue?) after noticing it on the shelf in my local GW. The rest of the scheme would follow the standard palette.


I still need to finish the scatter cannon, highlighting the clothing, the eyes and teeth, and one hand that somehow missed a highlight (don't paint at 2am...). There's also a couple of chips that need sorting, even after a thoroughly good wash, this mini seems to shed paint rather easily (in addition to my ham-fisted mauling of the base), I'm not sure why (answers on a postcard...).The scales are a bit iffy, but that's one of the "will return to later" elements. Technically being a "newbie" to this painting lark, any advice and suggestions would be much appreciated. I need to find a good enough adhesive to put the base on a bottle cap whilst painting - any suggestions?


I christened him Ogg, and he shall join the ranks of the occular-obsessed (as in they will take yours) Court of the Blind King alongside the likes of Carbuncle, Dregs, Banjo, Foul Ole Ron, Slug, Scraps and Pretty Boy Pickman. Hopefully these muties of the Flotsam Marshes will prove formidable on the table...


A typical Bilgewater Expositor ad - you too can advertise in it's hallowed pages - only 20... no, 200 credits.

Alongside this painting and terrain-building marathon, I've been working on the campaign newspaper, The Bilgewater Expositor - "the first with your local news from Verdant Heights to Twisted Girder." Covering all the districts and hamlets of Bilgewater Creek where our campaign takes place. Their journalists might not want to venture into Rusted Sump though...  Issue #0 of this shall be on the blog this week, so keep your eyes out for that

Side Note: Real-Life Eschers (not the Dutch artist...)

In other news, I recently heard about this rather interesting modern "tribe" in the Ukraine.

Known as Asgarda and residing in the Carpathian Mountains, the tribe is comprised of 150 women of varying ages, primarily students, led by Katerina Tarnouska. The women seek complete autonomy from men, Echoing the Scythian Amazons of Greek mythology, the Asgarda train in martial arts. They apparently idolizeYulia Tymoshenko, former President of the Ukraine and key leader of the Orange Revolution who is currently imprisoned. Beyond that their politics is unclear, the support of Tymoshenko in contrast with the name Asgarda is a little ambiguous, however they do seem to have formed for purposes of defence rather than the advancement of any political agenda beyond that of the pro-western Orange Revolution. Either way, it's an interesting phenomenon.

Anyone interested in the politics or history of the Ukraine, or want to find out more about this intriguing group, there's some good articles here (some are three or four years old - not really "news" I know).

Comments

  1. O_o Frightening ninja nuns. Not to be taken lightly, or at all.

    Scavvie looks good. The blue is a nice rich shade and will match nicely with the other non-huge gang members. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Haha very true indeed...

      Thanks very much Dai, just added another comparison pic from an earlier stage of painting with him next to the non-huge chaps.

      Delete
  2. Nice Scaly (Ogg seems fitting). I actually like some of the original Red-Orange that was on him. It contrasts with the Blue-Green really well. Both the pants and scales do look good in their new colours but would you consider swapping one back to orange?
    I use thick double sided tape if I want to tack a base to a temporary stand.
    The campaign newspaper sounds interesting... Surly one journalists could make his way to "Rusted Sump", even if he only just manages to get out by the skin of his teeth! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta muchly sir. Ah curses, the original intent was to paint the scales Blood Red and I'm not sure at what point it switched to Bleached Bone (painting at 2am... something for your research there :P). Thanks for the suggestion, I'll definitely give the tape a try. Haha, I think I mkight have to borrow that.

      Delete
  3. Kieran, I think these chaps look great. Necromunda is such a fun game - last year's Dark Vengeance figures for cultists looked so excellent they got me wondering whether to "get back to the Hive"! I like the scale on Ogg - I think the scales fit well with the unpleasant, toxic environment and slurry pits of the Underhive. I'm really looking forward to "The Bilgewater Expositor" - although I'll be disappointed if the newspaper boys don't make it to my Rusted Sump postcode… I wonder if Amazon.hive do home delivery on a Pyro Deluxe…..?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks very much Sidney, at the moment the Pyro Deluxe is availble from reputable Guild Merchants, and perhaps more readily available from the more dubious ones too.

      Delete
  4. I love the blue, it's a very natural and deep colouring, makes him look even more imposing! And you know I'll be getting a subscription to the Expositor as soon as it comes out...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind old bean, I'm still trying to work out why GW market the paint as "Green"...? Mysterious. You shouldn't have to wait too long now.

      Delete
  5. Loving it so far mate - though I think I am with the good Col. Ackland on the use of orange-red on the scales - they make him pop (although looking back at the photos and related text I think the orange may be where you are currently at and the lighter colour the base work??). Either way, my two cents is on orange all the way.

    I have this chaps offsider - the Scaly with a harpoon gun which I had wondered what to do with - green seemed the obvious choice, but I am liking the blue look you have gone with.

    As I said over on Col. Scipio's post - I do love me some Necro and watching your two blogs chart out your progress is definately proving a great read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very kind sir, the orange is a very thin Scorched Brown, for soem reason I've taken to undercoating with it (not usually that thin though). Ta muchly for the suggestion, as I said to Ackland, the original plan was to paint them red and I don't remember much of an active decision to paint them bleached bone. I think that more orangey red is the way forward though, ta muchly.

      I've been after a chap with a harpoon gun for a while, not been able to find one though. Might have to do a bit of converting.

      Delete
    2. If you fancy I can send you mine - he's only going to sit on my shelf of shame in his undercoat otherwise - I'd rather see him go somewhere he will get painted and used.

      If you're interested let me know and I can package him up and send him over.

      Delete
    3. Wow, that's very kind of you indeed, I'd really appreciate that if you're sure you're not going to paint/use it? How much would you want for it?

      Delete
    4. Not at all buddy - and no charge - it doesn't cost me anything matey and I'm happy to see it go to a good home - flick us your details at randomguy1985oz @ gmail . com - obviously remove the spaces between everything - and I'll get it into the mail for you.

      Delete
    5. Thank you very much, you have mail sir.

      Delete
  6. Really digging the scaly! The blue-tinged skin is a nice change of pace from the usual greens one sees, and honestly I kind of liked the off-white scales against the blue skin, but the Orange-ish scales look great! Necromunda has long been my favorite game in the 40k universe, always love seeing other people playing it too!

    Keep up the great work, mate!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ta very much, glad you like it. I already have two spares to paint up eventually (but they're not on the current list) and the plan was to alter the scale colourings on all of them so I might have another go at the off-white but do it at sensible o'clock.
      Definitely my favourite GW game without a doubt, and I'm still not sure why it's taken this long to get round to playing again.

      Delete
  7. Your Scaly looks great, that mini always made me think of Killer Croc from Batman.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers Chris, much appreciated. Haha I'm not the only one that thought that then, that's one reason I avoided green - although I do rather like old Waylon Jones.

      Delete

Post a Comment